Happy New (Book) Year! by Theresa Gauthier


Booklovers tend to be list makers. We have lists of books we want to read, have read, favorite authors, favorite titles, which books we read in which year—and this time of year, there are two that every bibliophile spends a lot of time considering;

1. Best books of the past year

2. Most anticipated books of the new year.


I have too many favorites from the past year to list them all here, but there are some outstanding titles that I just have to talk about. 


1. Perennial favorite: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

I read this one every year. Sometimes I read several versions—like the facsimile of the original book or the
annotated one or the one I read in 7th grade.) To me, this is the perfect book. It’s proof of the author’s genius that he could write so short a book that conveys so much. This book was my introduction to Charles Dickens, who will always be at the top of my Favorite Authors List.


2. The book I couldn't wait to read:: The Making of Another Major Motion Picture by Tom Hanks

I’ve reviewed this one already, so I won’t go into a great deal of detail, but I had to mention it here. I’d already read Uncommon Type, his collection of short stories from 2017, so I was aware that he can write, but this novel surpassed any expectations I had. I expect this to be a long time favorite.


3. The one I didn't know about ahead of time: The Lost Library by Rebecca Stead and Wendy Mass

I have a love of children’s literature, and when this one crossed my path, I had to snatch it up. With two well known, accomplished children’s authors teaming up like this, it had to be good—but it was more. This is probably one of the most satisfying books I’ve ever read.


4. The biggest book I read this year: The McCartney Legacy: 1969 - 1973 by Allan Kozinn and Adrian Sinclair

At 711 words, this book was the longest one I’ve read this year. Delving deep into McCartney’s solo work since from 1969 through 1973. Details like who was on which record, how he formed his band Wings, what inspired him to do what he did are all included. Information about what studios, which countries, and what decisions he made when he was creating these early albums makes for an informative read.


5. The book that brought me back to historical fiction:: Her Lost Words: A Novel of Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley by Stephanie Marie Thornton 

I’ve always loved historical fiction. I started reading it as a child. It was a natural enough thing for me to do since my two favorite subjects back then were history and English. In later years, I was lured away by other genres. It was only when I read Thornton’s compelling story of mother and daughter writers Wollstonecraft and Shelley that I realized I had shied away from such titles. I didn’t recall doing it, and there have, of course, been a few titles here and there that qualified as historical Fiction, but this one inspired me to look for more of them in the future.


6. The book I wish I'd known about when it was published: Bernard Who? 75 Years of Doing Just About Everything by Bernard Cribbins.

I intended to stop at 5 books, but I couldn’t pass up a chance to talk again about this one. This book was published in 2018, and whether because Cribbins is a well known British actor, but isn’t as well known here (except to Whovians), or just because I missed it when I visited the bookstore, I hadn’t had a chance to read it until late this 2023. I can’t say enough about how good it is. Cribbins, who passed away this year after filming his final appearance on Doctor Who, has a warm, inviting style that makes it feel as though he’s just a good friend telling tales from his life. I adored this book.



Now that I’ve discussed what I’ve read, what about what I want to read?


Here are the top titles I’m looking forward to reading this year.


1. Making it So by Patrick Stewart

    I've been excited about this one for quite some time. Patrick Stewart has meant a lot to me over the years, and the fact that he's associated with both Star Trek and A Christmas Carol just makes me giddy. I'm going to read this one soon! This is going to be amazing! 


2. Shakespeare: The Man Who Pays the Rent by Judi Drench and Brendan O’Hea 

To be fair, I’ve already started this, and, technically, it was published in 2023, but I have to give it a mention. Judi Dench is a phenomenal actress and this isn’t her first book. She’s penned quite a few. This one is a collaboration with Brendan O’Hea who discussed with her all the Shakespearean plays she’s acted in over her career. I’m loving the style, the insights, and the joy in these pages. 


3. James by Percival Everett 

I love a good retelling and this is a brilliant concept. It’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn from the point of view of Jim. I can’t wait to get my hands on this.


4. What Have We Here?: Portraits of a Life by Billy Dee Williams

Another actor I’ve long admired—I’m just realizing this list is heavy on actors I’ve admired!—I first became aware of Billy Dee Williams from The Empire Strikes Back. I’m dying to learn more about him.


5. Anita De Monte Laughs Last by XĂłchitl Gonzalez

For someone who reads mostly fiction, this is only the second fiction book on my short list of books to read. The synopsis of this one is just enticing. The fact that it splits between two timelines (1985 and 1998) and two protagonists (a dead artist and the student who’s researching her life) reminds me quite a bit of Her Lost Words, though I’m sure they’re probably not too similar. Everything I’ve heard about has been positive.


6. Walking with Sam: A Father, A Son, and Five Hundred Miles Across Spain by Andrew McCarthy 

Again, I intended to mention only five, but I’ve been anticipating this one for so long, I had to give it a spot. Technically, this was published last year, but since I’m going to read it in 2024, I decided to include it here. McCarthy is an actor, a writer. I’ve already read his The Longest Way Home, and I’ve intended to read Brat, but haven’t gotten there yet. He’s also written a novel, Just Fly Away, that I’ve bought, but haven’t gotten around to reading. This book is the story of his trek across Spain’s Camino de Santiago with his son Sam.


There’s my recap of last year and my look ahead to this one. I’m never sure what I’ll read and when, but I am positive books will always be important to me. Happy New Year!

Comments